Welcome To The Green Smoothie Series
Here, at The White Coat Trainer, we strongly encourage everyone to consume at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day (more vegetables than fruits).
Regardless of your dietary beliefs, eating more plants has been shown to have numerous benefits to your health. As busy professionals, consuming this essential food group can often be quite difficult.
The most useful strategy that we use to increase our fruit and vegetable intake is incorporating a Green Smoothie into our daily routine. Preparing these smoothies are quick and easy, and most importantly, they allow us to consume several servings of fruits and vegetables on the go.
We have been drinking a green smoothie every day for the past three years and have noticed significant improvements in our energy levels.
We want to introduce you to this easy dietary strategy so that you too could be on the road to improving your health and wellness.
What is a Green Smoothie?
- Green smoothies consist of a combination of vegetables (particularly the green leafy vegetables), delicious fruit, and a liquid base
What are the benefits of drinking a Green Smoothie?
- Drinking a green smoothie allows you to get your daily serving of fruits and vegetables on the go
- Green smoothies are packed with many essential micro-nutrients that many of us are deficient in
- They are easily digested
- Green smoothies are healthier and more nutrient dense than the average fruit juice
- They provide you with increased energy levels throughout the day
Preparing a Green Smoothie
- Ideally, green smoothies should contain at least 2 servings of green leafy vegetables and 2 servings of fruit
- These ingredients could be meal prepped and stored in the freezer for future use
- For a ‘green juice’ consistency, use water for the liquid base, and use fresh fruits and vegetables
- For a ‘green smoothie’ consistency, use milk (almond, soy, coconut, whole) for the liquid base. Frozen fruits and vegetables also help in creating a thick consistency
- For natural sweeteners try using:
- Raw honey
- For protein you could add:
- Nuts and/or nut butter
- Greek Yogurt
- Whey protein
- As bonuses, green smoothies could be topped with:
- Chia seeds
- Hemp seeds
- Flax seeds
Blending the Green Smoothie
- All smoothies in this series are blended using the Nutri Bullet Pro 900 Watt Nutrient Extractor. There is also a 600 Watt motor version that is a little cheaper.
- First, add the liquid base, then add the fruits and vegetables
- Ensure that the contents are not above the ‘max’ line
- Secure the blade onto the cup
- Blend for 15 seconds or until all contents have been liquefied
- Do not blend for more than 30 seconds
Here are some of our favorite Green Smoothies
- WCT Classic Berry Banana Green Smoothie
- WCT Apple Cacao Green Smoothie
- WCT Go Bananas Green Smoothie
- WCT Papaya Avocado Green Smoothie